Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda

Here's what I have to say about this book: I absolutely loved it. Sometimes, in novels, although I enjoy them, I look forward to the ending. I look forward to them resolving things, and moving on.

In this one, I looked forward to them resolving things, but then wanted to continue to read it. I didn't want it to end at all. It made me laugh, it made me cry, and it warmed my heart. This may sound silly, or over used, but I don't care.

My mom got it for me for Christmas, and picked very well because I had seen it before, but didn't buy it even though I wanted to. She did great!

Anyway, basically the story follows more than one interconnecting stories. I know it's been done before. Jodi Picoult does it in most of her novels. (I'm sure I'll reread My Sister's Keeper, and talk about that one as well). Either way, it's a method of writing I appreciate and enjoy reading.

This one followed two different families connected by a biological daughter to one of the families, and adopted to the other. They never actually met, but still had that very important connection.

Also, there was a character -the adoptive mother -that I didn't like at the start. I understood the way she acted, but still was frustrated with her. I think one of my favourite things about this book was watching her grow and learn as a person.

I don't want to say much more about it. Just know that I really enjoyed it. I love finding that rare great read. There are a LOT of wonderful books out there, but every once in a while I read one that I don't want to put down until it is finished. It's been a slow year for me because I haven't been putting as much effort into reading as I should, but this one and The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill are my favourites. They are the ones I did not want to put down. (Although I guess since it is January, then Secret Daughter wins so far.) Still a lot of time to find new favourites though.

Anyway, it's on my recommend list. I'm sure there will be lots, but I will be raving about this book for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment