Sunday, January 9, 2011

Drunkard -A Hard-Drinking Life by Neil Steinberg

I read a lot more fiction than I read non-fiction. It's not that I'm not interested in non-fiction, but it just seems like there are so many more fiction books around.

I like that fact that the first book I'm writing about is non-fiction. The true experience about a man's fight with alcoholism.

It's his story, and he did a great job at telling it. I'm not just speaking about the alcoholism aspect of it, but I'm impressed with his courage at portraying himself as a man who didn't believe he had a problem, and was constantly feeling that he was better than others. Possibly not better -but smarter. He may not have realised it until he heard other opinions of himself.

The actual fight to help his drinking problem started with the fight to finally admit that he has a drinking problem. I've been around a recovering alcoholic my whole life, but have never seen him take a drink. He has been sober for more than 25 years. Reading the book showed me a little of what he must have gone through.

All in all I enjoyed it, and would recommend it. At times, I found myself frustrated when he kept reverting back to his 'Drunkard' self, but it was probably a realistic portrayal -especially since it was his true story (or a portion of his story).

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment